Glenturret Peated

Glenturret Peated

Glenturret_Peated

Mashtun notes:

This is the final part of our Glenturret ‘triple header’ as we move onto review the Glenturret peated. Being ‘peat fiends’ we did have some trepidation when reviewing the peated Glenturret, as rightly or wrongly, it’s not something we associated with the distillery.

The nose on this dram has light peat notes, distant bonfires, hazelnuts, Linoleum, and citrus and grassy notes thrown in for good measure. The palate is where this dram comes alive though. It has wood smoke, wild grass, cereal, a hint of salted popcorn and sweet smoky flavours. The finish is smoky, malty, oaky, medium to long in length, and surprisingly sweet. The whisky has a stunning golden yellow colour, and a thick, soft velvety texture that’s dry on the palate. The longer this dram breathes the more peat comes out on the nose, and none of us thought we had to add water. It’s light, sweet, peaty, and very easy to drink.

In short, this was right up our street. A good peated offering from Glenturret which is lighter than most Islay whiskies, and may even help convert non-peated whisky drinkers to the joys of smoky dram.

Glenturret Peated

The Peated Edition delivers a heavy smokiness through the use of malted barley dried over peat fires, a taste akin to the whisky produced when the distillery first got its license in 1775.

www.theglenturret.com/

 Notes: 43% ABV – Glenturret Peated £45 per bottle at time of tasting. Only 40% of the malt used is peated, the other 60% is non-peated.

Glenturret Peated

Nose:

Sweet peat, malt, oak, bonfires on the beach, and slight citrus notes

Palate:

Wood smoke, malt/cereal, subtle sweetness, and a hint of salted popcorn

Finish:

Smoky, sweet, malty, and medium to long in length

Colour:

Golden

Texture:

Thick

Air:

Doesn’t do much

Water:

Didn’t add any

Overall comments:

A lovely ‘non-Islay’ peated malt that did surprise me. At 35PPM it tastes lighter than that. Light, peaty, sweet, and easy to drink. Right up my street!

Glenturret Peated

Nose:

Enticing peat nose, grassy notes underneath, seaweed, hazelnuts

Palate:

Pleasurable savoury and root vegetable flavours in amongst the wild grass and smoky flavours

Finish:

Long-ish, malt and wood notes

Colour:

Golden-yellow

Texture:

Soft, velvety mouthfeel, dry on the end

Air:

Develops a little with air

Water:

Didn’t add any

Overall comments:

This is an interesting one, powerful peat hits on the nose but mellow and savoury on the palate, with an aftertaste that invites more sips. Recommended.

Glenturret Peated

Nose:

Linoleum, hints of campfire and small hint of matchsticks

Palate:

This is where the peat starts! Wow, nothing like the nose suggests (more peat than the nose hints at!)

Finish:

Peat, burnt wood, surprisingly sweet

Colour:

Gold

Texture:

Medium

Air:

Brings out more of a a raw peat-dried barley on the nose

Water:

Didn’t add any, for me it’s balanced enough

Overall comments:

When I first nosed this I wasn’t expecting to find much influence of peat, but as soon as I had a good swirl around it appeared like a hidden gem. Right up my street and would say that it’s the best out of their new range of standards. Only one criticism – should be a little stronger.

Share